I’m super excited to share this hair tutorial today! Only because I think I finally figured out the messy bun. I have done a video tutorial for something similar (you can find it here), but I recently discovered a much better (and messier) messy bun technique. I have been really loving the messy look lately. Not only because it gives off a super casual vibe, but also because of how quickly it can be done! Since this look is super messy, it will probably look a little different every time you do it. But hey, that means you can never do it wrong!
- For this messy look, I suggest starting with messy hair. So rough it up a little or don’t brush it. The messier the better! This hair right here is what I like to call “It-was-straight-yesterday-then-I-slept-on-it”
2. Once you have messed up your hair, start a dutch braid at the crown of your head. Make sure you take in rather small sections while braiding. You want to make sure you still have enough hair left out of the braid to use for the bun. You can find my dutch braid tutorial here! Continue adding hair until you reach around the level of your ears, then do 1-2 stitches of a regular braid.
3. Once your braid is done, pull it apart and mess it up!
4. For the bun, start by pulling your ponytail half way through the elastic to create a bubble, or beginnings of a bun. Then take the hair and basically smoosh it all together, like shown above, and twist the hair tie around for the second time. Remember, this is meant to look like a total mess!
5. Lastly, take any loose pieces and tuck them into the elastic and mess up the bun a little until you’re happy with the way your bun looks!
I hope you all like this as much as I do. Be sure to tag me in your recreations on Instagram; I would love to see them!!
Thank you for reading!
Love, Hannah Lee