The messy bun is probably one of the most classic looks; and thankfully one of the quickest as well. If you’re anything like me I’m sure you’ve been trying to master this look since you learned how to use a hair tie. Although I definitely don’t consider myself a ‘master’, I have figured out a way to get my buns to turn out cute more often than not. I would say every time, that does sound more promising coming from someone trying to teach you, but let’s be realistic. The reality is your bun probably won’t come out perfect. After all, it is called a messy bun, so it’s going to be messy and imperfect!
1. Start by adding some texture to your hair. This will amplify the messy and undone look we are going for. Plus it will help your bun stay in place even longer!
I recently got my hands on the Orbie Dry Texturizing Spray and boy do I love it. I like to spray some of this in and lightly back comb my hair. You can also use dry shampoo for this step, this one is my favorite!
*Side Note: when back combing, only comb in one direction. This will minimize damage and make it easier to brush out your hair afterwards
2. Then gather your hair into a high ponytail. Avoid brushing your hair into the ponytail. Simply using your fingers creates a messier effect.
3. With a hair elastic on your left wrist, hold the base of your ponytail with your left hand. Then pull the elastic over the top half of the ponytail, like shown above. Don’t pull your ponytail all the way through the elastic.
4. Then wrap the ends around the base of the bun and continue securing with the elastic. It is okay if pieces are hanging out, we’ll fix that!
5. Now, This is the fun part! Pull apart your bun and get it just how you’d like it. If you have any loose hair, simply wrap the section around the bun and tuck it under the elastic.
6. (Optional) If you’re looking to extend the longevity of your bun feel free to secure it with some bobby pins and a light spray of hairspray. Check out my current favorite hairspray here!
SHOP THIS POST:
Do you rock the messy bun?